Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Winter Restaurant Week @Nobu & more food tales!

The wait is OVER! Finally, we get to taste renowned Jap chef Nobu Matsuhisa's delish works of art in his flagship restaurant Nobu New York. This is their dessert for the day, a yummy pumpkin spice cake topped with fresh choc whip cream. The whip cream - to die for! I'm a whip cream fiend these days after I found the perfect recipe for it...devishly lickalicious...mmm...!!! Their creamy spicy crab is my absolute fave(i tried it previously at Next Door Nobu with Jools last March and the taste still lingers in my mouth) and I knew everyone at the table will just die and go straight to heaven with one mouthful. My beef was a tad overdone but their miso cod is simply A+++!! I must try the recipe again, this time with a broiler and see if I can achieve the same taste(OMG). Even their Nobu special reserve beer tastes one in a million! Though their dishes are not ridiculously overpriced, their queue to get a table reservation surpasses that. At 11.30am, a queue forms outside the restaurant - all the eager and hungry patrons who had already made reservations for their Restaurant Week treat! One of my best lunches ever!

SPICY SINGAPORE NIGHT!
I miss roti prata more than anything else(close fight with bak kua) in Singapore so I just had to make the curry I grew up with - Fish head curry! Curry can't be done in small portions to feed 2 people so it was a perfect excuse to grab a whole bunch of people to my house to FEAST! I looked and I asked and I begged and I cajoled and I simple can't buy a proper snapper fish head for my curry. They just don't sell it! Gave up in the end and substituted with just the snapper meat instead. God, I so wanted Emmanuel to try sucking the fish eye...keke... The other dish I absolutely adore is the Beef Rendang. Using chuck beef and simmered over low fire for 2 hours, my rendang is declared a "tastes-like-home" dish from Robert, whose grandmother is from Java, Indonesia. Wow - that is a nice compliment indeed!!! Hehe...

Veering slightly off the spice scale, I baked a Brownie Puddle with choco ganache fillings peppered all over the cake like bomb craters for Dan's upcoming birthday. Happy 39th Birthday, Dan! There are no close up pix of this orgasm-inducing dessert cos of the ugly craters BUT the silence that followed devouring the dessert conveyed the capability of this brownie. *wink*

No comments: