Sometimes, I can't help but feel like popcorn when someone asks me that question. However, like a popcorn on cue, I popped right before 2007 ended and out comes our dear little son on 30 December 2007, just in time to celebrate the New Year(and hopefully for tax breaks too)! Whoopee-doo-wop!!!
Introducing the King:
D.O.B: 30 December 2007, on a sunny winter day at 39weeks.
Weight: 7pounds 4 ounces (3.3kg)
Length: 20.4"
Birth Type: Caesarean
* Advice: NO woman should ever do this if they have a choice.
Doctor: Dr. Katarina Eisinger (Ob-Gyn)
(She showed no mercy to my uterus after the c-sec...I think I need post-partum trauma counseling after she pressed so hard down on my stomach during her routine check, I thought my kidneys might start popping out next. But other than that, she is a lovely Ob-Gyn and I'm super-glad she delivered Theoden.)
Place of delivery: New York Presbyterian Children's Hospital
(P/S: They do have HUGE newly-renovated delivery rooms with a grand view of Manhattan and the bed is strategically placed so you can even see the Empire State Building while doing your Lamaze breathing. HOWEVER, by the time I arrived in the delivery room, I'm already screaming for epidural relief(GIVE IT TO MEEEE!!!!) and by the time the nurse finally got an IV into me after 4 failed tries(I think I was really very nice not to have strangled her during the process), I nearly passed out from the excruciating agony brought on by the onslaught of relentless contractions that I hardly had any energy at all to "appreciate" the gorgeous view. It was a nice touch by the hospital anyway - maybe the doctors and nurses get more inspired by it than the patients)
Labour Story:
After reading up on so many pregnancy and birthing books, I was convinced natural birth without drugs is THE way to go. Gone was the era of the 60's when c-section was in vogue along with bell-bottom pants. So, Emmanuel and I prepared for Lamaze breathing techniques, husband-coached birthing methods, etc, etc, etc, only to find out that ALL those women out there who ACTUALLY went through a vaginal birth WITHOUT any form of pain relief DESERVE A PURPLE HEART. Man oh man...it takes courage to do this and especially if this is your first time, you have ABSOLUTELY no idea what to expect. Zero. I didn't go through one of those 40hours long labor like some women did(God bless them) BUT all it took was for 1hour of intense contractions for me to decide on an epidural. *Wuss* I know...I am one indeed. What do you expect from someone who needed(and insisted) on GA for wisdom teeth removal? It was all 4 of them, mind you...some of them needed to be sawed in half and...why am I telling you this?!?!?
So, after the epidural, I drifted off to sleep immediately since it was early morning by then and we hardly slept at all. My husband is pleased I am back to my usual courteous self instead of the snappy bitch who kept wanting to break his fingers in the pre-drug period. Doc is happy I am dilating and contracting well so we both went to catch up on some sleep.
Next thing I know, bad news enveloped us. I had developed an infection(probably from not knowing that my water broke and leaving it unattended for too long to go to the hospital), that caused a high fever. Even though I am contracting strongly every single minute, my cervix is still stuck at the same 5cm dilation after 7 hours(you need to dilate to 10cm before you can start to push the baby out). No further amount of waiting is gonna change that status, probably might only cause complications for both baby and me if the fever persists. That is basically the gist of why we had a c-section in the end. GONE were our past months of hope that my husband can "catch" the baby as he slurps out of my body and cut the umbilical cord. GONE were the hopes of bonding with the baby within seconds of his birth as he lays steaming hot and gooey on my chest. GONE were the visions of him clawing his way to my breast instinctively like a kangaroo baby for his first suckle(my Ob-Gyn claims she's never seen anything like that in her whole career, probably only in Discovery Channel). All GONE. Poof!
We're disappointed we went down this road in the end but just really happy that both baby and mom survived the ordeal and are now home safe and sound.
All wrapped up to brave the cold home.
Welcome to the world, my little darling.
To end off this welcome blog, here's a classic video of a hungry baby whose compass points him in the direction to nipples, whoever it may belong... ;p