Monday, September 10, 2007

My Gala Dream come true...

I've always loved Gala apples. Biting into their sweet, crunchy flesh with juice dribbling down your chin is like a Fruit-O. Back home in Singapore, we have plenty of those from New Zealand shipped in and there are always a few in my fridge.

Now that I AM living in apple country, I am constantly surprised at how mealy the apples are here in New York. How could I not be able to get any crunchy apples when I am surrounded by apple growers? Of course it is seasonal and year-round apples are available with the human invention of a "freezer", so you can't expect it to be good all the time BUT still...

Singapore obviously does not produce any apples and yet, we still enjoy a good crunch 365 days a year. Sadly, I am always dubious of the Gala apples in the supermarkets here and my face will scrunch up in disgust whenever I bite into a soft, uncrunchy apple that I just wanna spit out. Let's not even talk about Macintosh or the Washington or whatever else-is-out-there apples.

To salvage the near-desperate situation, Emmanuel suggested going apple-picking to satisfy our need for crunch-O. And what what a BIG-O we had indeed in the fruit orchards indeed! Starting with ultra tempting and sweet raspberries(popping one into your mouth while picking every 3rd berry is acceptable :), we moved on to apples(hearing that first crunch drove us into a picking frenzy), then Bosc & Bartlett pears before finally going fruit-crazy at the peach section. Greedy us couldn't resist the sweet juices of the so tender ripe peaches and we kept eating as we picked non-stop.

The fruit trees were all so heavily laden with fruits I felt like setting up camp just to eat them fresh before the season's over. It is THAT YUM-O!

Bishop's Orchards in Connecticut that we went is excellent for a day out with children and I would strongly recommend checking out their website to see what fruit is in season and calling them to enquire before making a trip there. They also have strawberries, pumpkins, blueberries and sell their own fruit wines as well.

2 comments:

The MacKay Way said...

The peaches and raspberries you shared were divine! If I had not flown out of town I would've made a trip up there myself and canned peaches and preserves for use all year! (I've got the canning equipt to can in glass jars!) YUM!! Thanks for the best raspberries I've had in ages! Xx Kim

timgord said...

Glad to see everything is going well. The chair sounds great....Tim Japan