Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The last ever Mermaid Parade @ Coney Island


Finally, I arrive at Coney Island and...didn't eat any famous Nathan's hotdogs! Remember those crazy hotdog eating contests u see on TV? Well, this is where the action is! The next hotdog eating contest will be on 4th July where crazy people like the Japanese champ Takeru Kobayashi literally swallowed 53 hotdogs in 12 MINUTEs! I read his new record recently in another contest was like 59 hotdgos!!! He is the defending champion for the last 6 years so let's see if that beefy American will beat him this year. Grrrr.....

Mermaid's Parade is an annual non-profit artsy parade where everyone and anyone can be a part of. My favourite is the Coney Senior Mermaid in a wheelchair and this crazy 40 yrs old guys parading around in DIAPERS! Yikes! Cover up, dude!!! The insane display of one's creativity stretches the imagination with flimsy "Peek-a-boo" fits and wild antics provided great entertainment for a sunny day at the beach.

Some nasty developers have bought over the land and will be building something like giant American malls or what nots there, destroying many years of cultural or family heritage with familiar rides that many New Yorkers have grown up with. I can understand why many are angry at this destruction cos there is a certain rustic charm to the place and to see your childhood memories replaced by characterless buildings with corporate McDonalds is like a slap in the face. There is one group in the parade holding up signs of their fave Coney Island icons like the Cyclone ride, in protest of the development plans. Freedom of speech! Yeah!


Well, I'm glad to be here on the boardwalk with the rest enjoying what will be the last ever Mermaid Parade on Coney Island. Next time, I'll come back and eat the hotdogs(one in 10minutes, please). Oooh!!! I must say their delicious lobster burger is worth a mention on my blog for sure(i.e. DAMN Delicious!!!)! Their seafood shop was nice but after ordering $60 worth of DEEP-FRIED JUNK FOOD(for only 4 persons!) no matter if they looked yummy while hot, is a huge turn-off after 5minutes of chowing down the oil drum. I don't think I can smell or touch another piece of deep fried whatever for a long time. *gag*

No comments: