After moving into our new apartment on 1 April, we left it in a state of disarray while we travelled to France. While the weather in France was hot and muggy, New York was drenched to the bone in 8 inches of flood water from the hurricanes sweeping through the East Coast. It even snowed 6inches in New Hampshire! I am hardly complaining about the lovely weather we had in Paris(blue skies, sunshine and warmth!) except that the nicely embroidered pair of gloves n the scarf I had bought for the wedding(to fight off any spring chill, just in case) were rendered unnecessary by the almost "Singapore heat" of 31degrees celsius on my wedding day. Damn! I had so wanted to wear gloves on my church wedding!!! :( Haha...
Alor! Meeting the family for the 1st time. That's intense, isn't it? Given that his entire family is only a tiny fraction of my extended family in SG, the stress is greatly reduced. =)
And of course there were more family members like his brother's beautiful family, his mother whom I had met in SG, his extended family of cousins, uncles, aunties and nephews. And of course, his best friends from school and "Dungeons & Dragons" playmates. But first, let me continue about the intensity of April.
To top it all off, I was late for my own wedding! Yes, me the bride! The driving directions given to us were literally useless(avoid mappy.com like the plague) and with terrible phone connections, we got lost in the small town driving around in circles until we found a kind soul to lead us the way to the church! Fritz, my friend who is kindly driving me to the altar,cuts a dashing figure in his fancy suit, and with me sitting in the front, i suspect it kinda confused the poor old French guy we flagged down on the road. He must have been wondering what is this bride and groom doing in this town, not speaking a single syllable of French and lost on their way to their own wedding! Haha... We must have provided this old man with a story to tell for weeks... Even when we got Emmanuel finally on the phone, he himself doesn't even know the way! We must have been the most unprepared Catholic Bride & Groom ever! Stress factor: 9/10
French Service is like a yo-yo. It can be impeccable or it can be shitholeland. The service at our reception and dinner was of escargot speed. The service staff were very nice actually, but at the rate they bring out the food, most people would have starved by then! We actually only got the "piece monte", the traditional French wedding cake, at 1am in the morning. Put aside all notions of 3-tiered wedding cakes. This piece monte is a monstrosity. I was aghast when they carried it out like one of those 90th Birthday Longevity Peach Tower cake for Chinese grandmothers' "Da Shou" celebrations.
Due to their excargot speed, about 20 of our overseas guests had to leave early to catch the train back to Paris centre and MISS the rest of the evening. I was actually sad they had to miss the pyrotechnics cake, the champagne and also the dancing!!! The hotel should be burned down for all the grief they had caused us. Stress factor: 7/10
After the wedding ended, we were a lot more relaxed(no more vow memorising!) and began to enjoy spending time with family and friends leisurely. It was an emotional moment when I had to bid farewell to my Dad, Mom and sister shortly after.
Finally, we had 2 short days on our own in Beaune, Dijon and Champagne. It is all too short as his mother came to join us in Lille and after to Brugge in Belgium. Once we returned to Paris, the entire Planel brood came over for a last dinner as we depart the next day.
Wow. Talk about intense.
And then, and then, right just before we had to board the plane, we rushed to finally write and stick a stamp on those postcards we had been meaning to write before we step off the soil of France. Whew!!! I am so glad postcards have such small writing spaces. Sad to say, this is like the only time we had in the last 2weeks to do such leisurely things. And we still had to rush through it.
Oh. I almost forgot. Air India. NEVER, EVER take this airline if you can avoid it. First, they lost my luggage with all my clothes, underwear, make-up, shoes, contact lens and jewellery when we arrived in Paris. 4days later, it arrived from Mumbai. The bloody thing went all the way to India and back! Of course, the bastards ransacked my luggage and took my jewellery - one of which is a gift from my mom. This gold plated kerongsang is a chain of 3 linked floral pins meant to hold my wedding kebaya top together like a true Peranakan. There is no freaking way I can buy a replacement in Paris. I had to use safetly pins instead. *embarrased* Apart from losing my luggage, they have no Fragile check-in service at the counter. This is the first time I have encountered such a bizarre airline service which is flying international, mind you, and it is not even a budget airline.
In a way, we were both so relieved to enter our apartment and for the first time in weeks, to truly relax and empty our minds. Sadly, after visiting France in all its spring blossom and architectural glory, coming back to NYC only rendered bile in my throat as feelings of sadness washed over us in waves. Emmanuel and I both agree Europe is so much more beautiful, vibrant and the quality of life there is way up higher than whatever NYC can offer us. Even a walk through Central park yesterday did nothing to change my mind - and you know how much I do love Central Park yah.
We are both glad...and sad to be home for sure.
P/S: Pics and travellers tales coming up soon!
1 comment:
All I can say is ... you flew AIR INDIA??!?!?! What on earth possessed you??!!?! ;p
Post a Comment