Monday, October 30, 2006

In awe of the ANGKOR TEMPLES once again...

After the wedding, we went on a short hol to Cambodia to see the magnificent Angkor temples. This is my second time there and I still find them amazing! Angkor Wat looked spectacular in the sunrise pic here(be prepared to leave ur hotel at 5am) and Ta Phrom is still my favourite temple of all.

We went back twice cos the first time we got seperated in the temple grounds(both busy snapping pix with our cameras) and couldn't find each other at all! The second time we went back early in the morning after our Angkor Wat sunrise and it was the most surreal experience ever. To have the eerie temples to yourself in the early morning mist with the cotton silk trees looming above you is what I want to remember of Ta Phrom as forever. Until the busloads of Korean and Taiwanese tourists invaded my Ta Phrom space and shattered the magic, that is...urghh....

The carvings on the hidden walls near the Terrace of the Lepers were absolutely gorgeous...a must-see! Especially the 5-headed horse and the hidden deities and nagas and the one elephant trunk pulling a human from the ground in one corner. Way cool! I am glad to have bought the Ancient Angkor book(a steal at only US$5!) from one of the many young booksellers in Siem Reap and saw many carvings that I would otherwise have been ignorant about at each temple I visited.


Click here to view the Cambodia album.

Saw this on a wall of a Kodak photo shop in Siem Reap town...Khmer makeover studio shots! Bizarre fashion sense! Mongolian dress-up is "IN" in this country???? *scratch head* Couldn't resist snapping a photo of this to show you guys...hehe...

No comments: